City of Osaka

Port & Harbor Bureau, City of Osaka

City of Osaka Top > Port & Harbor Bureau Top > The Port of Osaka's Coat of Arms

Information

The Port of Osaka's Coat of Arms

Explanatory Diagram

Blazon

《Blazon》

Created in 1980, as part of Osaka - Le Havre (French Republic) Sister Port Affiliation commemorations, the port's coat of arms was designed to express the `spirit of Osaka'. Accordingly, it was featured on a range of original gifts, including a shield, which were presented to the Port of Le Havre. Prior to the creation of the coat of arms, a simple design, combining a ship's anchor with the city symbol, a channel marker known as Miotsukushi, was used. However, in light of increasing internationalisation and the establishment of several sister port affiliations, a new port symbol was necessary. Coincidently, it was around this time that Mr Mamoru Mori, a coat of arms researcher, published his book, ゙European Coats of Arms". Upon meeting with the author, the port secured his full support and after six months of subsequent instruction, the Port of Osaka's coat of arms was completed. Complying with the official `Coat of Arms Design Regulations', the Port of Osaka's coat of arms' has received positive reviews, even when compared with the most distinguished of Japanese motifs. Famed for its originality, the coat of arms of the Port of Osaka enjoys a continued popularity.

Arms

The shield is comprised of three sections set against a blue background. The chief (upper section) features the old port symbol in gold, while the base (lower section) shows a gold-colored ancient double-masted Japanese ship flying red ensigns and sailing over silver waves. Wedged between these two sections is a series of green Ginkgo leaves, arranged in a two-three-two pattern, atop a gold fess.

Crown

The crown section shows the city hall belfry set upon a red and gold wreath.

Supporter

Standing on either side of the arms are the mythical "Nue" ‒ a creature with the head of a monkey, body of a raccoon, tail of a snake, legs of a lion and the voice of a songbird. According to the legend, the creature was slain by the vassal Minamotono Yorimasa during the reign of Emperor Konoe (1139-1155).

Motto Scroll

The motto inscribed upon the scroll beneath the shield, "FAMA ET PROGRESS" means "Fame and Progress".

Instruction

Mr Mamoru MORI

Mr Mamoru MORI (1923 - 2000),
designer of the port's coat of arms.

Origin of the 'Nue Memorial'

(located at Miyakojima Hondori 3-18, Miyakojima-Ku, Osaka)

One night, during the reign of Emperor Konoe, in the year 1153, a monster appeared at the imperial palace, disturbing the household. A vassel known as Minamoto, managed to kill the intruder, which was found to be a 'Nue', a creature with the head of a monkey, body of a racoon, limbs of a tiger and tail lile a snake.<

After being paraded in and around Kyoto, the slain Nue was then placed in a canoe and set adrift on the Yodogawa River. The corpse floated downstream, coming ashore at the swamplands. (present-day Miyakojima District)

The villagers, fearing the curse of the 'Nue', carried out burial services and constructed a burial mound, known as 'Nuetsuka'. The memorial site underwent repairs in 1868 and 1957, utilising funds from the prefectural government and citizens respectively. Even today, the Miyakojima District is home to a 'Nue Memorial Preservation Society', which oversees the site.