Policies of the Economic Strategy Bureau
The Economic Strategy Bureau is committed to achieving sustainable economic growth in Osaka by attracting people, goods, and investments from around the world.
To achieve this major objective, the Bureau strives to not only enhance Osaka's unique business and urban appeal, but also assist with the growth and development of companies by undertaking initiatives to support innovation that creates new value.
To perform this role, we are carrying out strategic efforts to address management challenges such as the following:
Main Management Challenges
- Refining and enhancing the business environment
- Leveraging the accumulation and collaboration of industry, academia, and government in fields such as green energy and life sciences to support innovation in the Kansai region
- Strengthening support measures as well as attaining enrichment in promising growth fields that Osaka specializes in
- Advancing a range of support policies that will help resolve management issues by facilitating goals such as strengthening the management foundation of SMEs, increasing productivity, and expanding businesses
- Rejuvenating the regional economy with a new generation of leaders by promoting entrepreneurship
- Promoting efforts toward the success of the Expo 2025, Osaka, Kansai, Japan
- Attracting MICE events with a major impact on the economy and promoting the tourism industry to help broaden its bases
- Advancing policies related to urban appeal in tourism, culture, and sports as well as spreading information on Osaka’s urban appeal
Core strategies to address management challenges
» Strategy 1: Attracting people, goods, and investments from around the world and creating new value
Osaka's strengths at maintaining an ecosystem that can foster continuous innovations are as follows:
- The area's accumulation of companies and research institutes in fields such as green energy and life sciences
- Osaka's role as the Kansai region’s core city in fostering innovation support facilities (such as the Osaka Innovation Hub (OIH) )
Advancing a range of policies to strengthen the business foundation of SMEs, foster management reforms, increase productivity, and create a new generation of leaders for Osaka's economy
- Resolving management and technological issues
- Developing sales channels
- Encouraging entrepreneurship
- Raising funds, etc.
Expand the strategic exchange population and business market in order to revitalize the region and its economy
- Attracting MICE events with high potential to benefit the economy
- Initiatives for making preparations to hold the 2019 G20 Osaka Summit
- Accommodating international tourist trends in advancing urban development action programs in tourism regions
- We are revitalizing the region and its economy by optimally applying the private sector's dynamic energy through urban appeal policies that are jointly implemented by the Osaka Prefectural and City Governments.
- In particular, to make preparations for the "golden sports years"* with the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 as the focal point, we are advancing policies in areas such as tourism, culture and sports which can help strengthen the city’s ability to attract visitors.
*Golden sports years refers to three consecutive years of highly anticipated international sports events that will be held from 2019 to 2021 (the Rugby World Cup 2019, Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020, and the World Masters Games 2021 Kansai).