Tsumura Betsuin (Temple)
  1, 4-chome, Hommachi, Chuo-ku
Nishi Honganji, Kita Mido
[ Hommachi ]by Midosuji and Chuo Line
 about 100m to the north
Namba Betsuin (Temple)
  1, 4-chome, Kyutaromachi, Chuo-ku
Higashi Honganji, Minami Mido
[ Hommachi ]by Midosuji and Chuo Line
 about 100m to the south
 The origin of the Ishiyama Honganji temple dates back to the 5th year of Meio(1496), when the priest Rennyo built a monk's lodge near the site of the present Osaka Castle.
 The site grew to be a big temple called the Ishiyama Honganji.
 Afterwards the temple was attacked by Oda Nobunaga as Osaka was a point of strategic importance.
 The priest Kennyo surrendered to Nobunaga and was deported from Osaka in the 8th year of Tensho(1580). Later he was given precincts by Hideyoshi(in the 13th year of Tensho) and built a temple but he was moved to Kyoto and died.
 After his death the two successors were designated by Hideyoshi, so the Honganji temple was divided into Higashi and Nishi Honganji.
 The two sects put their respective bases in Osaka and made efforts to control each sect.
 The priest Kyonyo in Higashi Honganji constructed Namba Betsuin(Minami Mido) in the 2nd year of Keicho(1697) as their base in Osaka and his younger brother Jyunnyo settled their base at Tsumura Betsuin(Kita Mido) from the 10th year of Keicho onward. Both of the buildings were so magnificent as to be used for official places around the period of the Meiji Restoration but both were burned down by the War.
 The name of Midosuji avenue was derived from that of the buildings.
Tsumura Betsuin
Namba Betsuin
to the top of
The Uemachi-daichi kita course