monument, erected by Osaka City, stands in the northwest corner of Tsumori
Primary School and features an inscription to the effect of "In the
grounds of this school once stood the Tsumori new rice markets during
the Edo period. Known as the eMutsuki Garden' of Mr. Shirayama, the owner
of the rice fields, it was one of the most famous gardens in Osaka."
The markets were one of the land owner's residences; there the administrative
matters relating to the rice fields were carried out, and the annual taxes
that farmers paid were calculated. The Tsumori new rice fields were developed
in the Genroku period (1688-1704) under contract by Genzaemon Yokoi and
Genpei Kanaya. They paid a fee of 1,250 ryo (old currency) to the shogunate,
commenced work in 1698, and developed over 700 km2 in three years.
[Designated as an Osaka City historical monument]
Location : inside Tsumori Primary School; 3-1, Tsumori