Osaka City 大阪市

The City of Osaka official website

A guide for living OSAKA

For Foreign Students

Information for Foreign Students

1 Scholarships

“Scholarships for International Students in Japan” (published annually by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) covers the details of scholarship programs. Note: This booklet can be downloaded from the following webpage.

Study in Japan Unit, Information Services Division, Student Exchange Department, Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
2-2-1 Aomi, Koto-ku, Tokyo, Japan
TEL 03-5520-6111 9:30 - 17:00 (Mon - Fri)
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) WEBSITE

page top

2 Accommodation

1 Municipal Housing for Privately-financed International Students<El Sereno Kobaicho>

To meet the accommodation needs of foreign students, the El Sereno Kobaicho housing has been leased through the Osaka Municipal Housing Corporation. The Osaka International House Foundation helps administer (excludes maintenance) the El Sereno Kobaicho housing facility.

  • Location
    6-6 Kobaicho, Kita-ku, 530-0038
    (nearest station: Subway Tanimachi or Sakaisuji Line Minamimorimachi sta. / JR Tozai Line Osaka Temmangu sta.)
  • Qualification for Residence
    International students who study at their own expense and who are enrolled in a regular course at a university, graduate school, junior college, or vocational school in Osaka Prefecture, or at the Osaka Japanese Language Education Center of the Japan Student Services Organization.
  • Application Period
    Early December - Early January
    (Notice is sent to your school).
    Submit the designated application form to the Osaka International House Foundation through your school administration department.
    Note: If the number of applicants exceeds room availability, occupants will be decided by lottery.
International Exchange Division, Osaka International House Foundation
2-6 Uehommachi 8-chome, Tennoji-ku, Osaka
TEL 06-6772-7327
Osaka International House Foundation Website

2 Other accommodations for international students

Name Inquiries
Sakai International Hall
(Orion International House)
Osaka Foundation of International Exchange
MyDome Osaka 5F, 2-5 Hommachi-bashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka
TEL 06-6966-2400 FAX 06-6966-2401
Osaka Foundation of International Exchange Orion International House Website

3 Employment Support Service for International Students

The Osaka Employment Service Center for Foreigners offers job counseling and placement service including part-time jobs.

page top

4 Osaka Citizen’s Fund for International Students

The following programs are carried out using donations from citizens, companies, and organizations.
①① Loan program for international students who study at their own expense
Loans are available for all privately-funded foreign students studying at universities or other educational institutions in Osaka City for emergencies where a student may need a large amount of money as a result of illness or accidents, such as for living expenses, medical costs, tuition, or expenses to return home temporarily.
(Loans for living expenses are limited to ¥50,000. Loans for medical costs, tuition, and expenses for returning home temporarily are limited to ¥100,000.)


  1. Applicants must be registered students of a college or university in Osaka City.
  2. Applicants must be a self-financed foreign student holding a valid “college student visa.”
  3. Interview after screening by Osaka International House Foundation.
  4. A guarantor is required.

Selection Procedure for Loans

Osaka International House Foundation examines each applicant on an individual basis to confirm whether they will be able to repay the loan.


Osaka International House Foundation
②Scholarship program for privately-funded foreign students
Scholarships that give a face of the sponsors are offered by specifying scholarship name/type, national or regional origin of the scholar, university, or major field of study.
③Special scholarship program
Special scholarships are offered to students that have experienced major damage to their families or homes as a result of large-scale earthquakes and have experienced problems during their time as a foreign student.
④Other support programs for foreign students
< Invitations to cultural facilities >
A “Special Foreign Student Pass” offers free admission to public cultural facilities, including museums in Osaka Prefecture, to offer opportunities for foreign students to better understand Japanese culture.


Applicants must be a foreign student enrolled in a school within Osaka Prefecture and must hold a valid "student visa."


Applicants must contact the student affairs officer at their school, who will apply on their behalf.
< Invitations to cultural programs >
Both privately-funded and government-sponsored foreign students are invited to cultural programs in Japan (especially in Osaka), including programs organized by the Osaka International House Foundation.


Name Tel. / Adress / URL Time
Osaka International House Foundation 8-2-6 Uehommachi, Tennoji-ku, Osaka
TEL: 06-6772-7327
9:00 - 17:30

page top

Japanese Language Schools

please see the website of the AIEL

page top