Osaka City 大阪市

The City of Osaka official website

A guide for living OSAKA

For Comfortable Living

Finding Housing

1 Counseling on Housing

Osaka Municipal Housing Information Center provides face-to-face and telephone consultation on purchasing and renting housing and Osaka’s housing policies.

Counseling on Housing (Information Service Counter)
Osaka Municipal Housing Information Center 4F(Housing Information Plaza)
6-4-20 Tenjimbashi, Kita-ku, Osaka
Weekdays/Saturday 9:00 - 19:00 Sunday/National Holidays 10:00 - 17:00
(Closed on Tuesdays (when it is a holiday, closed the following day), days after holidays (open if the day after the holiday happens to be Sunday or Monday), and year-end and New Year holidays)
※ Support in English, Chinese, and Korean is available via a simplified interpretation telephone service. 10:00 - 17:00
Osaka Municipal Housing Information Center.

2 Basic information about Renting Housing

See the Essentials for living in Osaka (Osaka Information Service for Foreign Residents).

3 How to Apply for Public Housing

1 Municipal Housing

Applications for municipal housing are accepted every February and July from those who are newly married or engaged, those who are raising children, those who are single and those who fall under the general household category. To be eligible, each applicant must live in (be registered as a resident of) Osaka City (or Osaka Prefecture for some housing) or must work in Osaka City.
Every November, additional applications are accepted from applicants who seek residence near their parents or children, or residence for those who are raising children, those who fall under the general household category, or those who are single.
Applicants must meet income and other requirements (described in the application guidelines). Application guidelines that contain information on the application are distributed every time a new application period opens.
Application guidelines are available from the following offices when the new application period opens. Housing for middle-income earning households and vacancies of public housing will accept additional applicants. Contact the following for further information.

Places where application forms are distributed
Person in charge of applications for municipal housing, Administration Department, Osaka Municipal Housing Corporation

Osaka Municipal Housing Information Center 5F, 6-4-20 Tenjimbashi, Kita-ku, Osaka
(TEL)06-6882-7024 (FAX)06-6882-7021

2 Applications of Municipal Housing for Single Parent Families, Elderly Persons, and Families that have Persons with Disabilities

Application registration starts around the beginning of May every year.
The following types are available:

  • Single parent family housing
  • Elderly family housing (with or without special assistance)
  • Housing for persons with disabilities (with or without special assistance)
  • Housing for wheelchair users (with special assistance)
  • Specially designed housing for wheelchair users

These are available for families that have completed resident registration, fulfill the criteria, and are living in Osaka City.

Application Forms and Inquiries

Public Health and Welfare Center in each ward

Contact Information
  • Housing for single parent families (fatherless or motherless families)
    • Family Support Department Children and Youth Bureau
    • TEL 06−6208−8035
  • Housing for the elderly
    • Welfare for the Elderly Department Social Welfare Bureau
    • TEL 06−6208−8060
  • Housing for handicapped persons
    • Welfare for Persons with Disabilities Department Social Welfare Bureau
    • TEL 06−6208−8081

4 Housing Assistance

1 Housing Loan and Interest Assistance for Households with a Child

A portion of the interest incurred on the principal amount of a housing loan will be subsidized for newlyweds or households raising children who are purchasing a private condominium or other dwelling in Osaka City for the first time. Certain conditions must be met for application. For further information, please make an inquiry to the following.

Urban Redevelopment and Housing Bureau
Housing Information Center 4F 6-4-20 Tenjimbashi, Kita-ku, Osaka
(TEL)06-6356-0805 (Weekday 9:00 - 17:30)

page top

Application for Utilities and Other Services

1 Water & Sewerage

The Osaka Municipal Waterworks Bureau supplies tap water throughout Osaka City. 100% of households in Osaka have access to water supply, and you can drink tap water directly. The Osaka Municipal Public Works Bureau is in charge of supervising and maintaining of sewerage utilities.

1 Applying for water service start or suspension

Please contact the Waterworks Bureau’s Customer Service Center by telephone or FAX.
Procedures can also be conducted online. For details, please check the Waterworks Bureau website.
(Applications are not accepted by email.)

2 Water-related Troubles

Please contact the Waterworks Bureau’s Customer Service Center. If you find a water leak on a road or if you need repairs for a water leak or other water-related issue that has occurred in your home at night or on a holiday, the Waterworks Bureau’s Customer Service Center will provide you with automated guidance about emergency contact information.
When a sewerage pipe has become clogged, please contact the Pipeline Management Center of Clearwater Osaka Corporation, which has been commissioned by Osaka City Public Works Bureau.

3 Waterworks Bureau Customer Center

It accepts all inquiries and types of notifications,
such as those for starting or suspending water service.

TEL 06-6458-1132
FAX 06-6458-2100
Website Waterworks Bureau Customer Center
Service Hours Weekday (Monday - Friday):8:00 - 20:00
Saturday : 9:00 - 17:00
Dec.29 to Dec.30:9:00-17:00
Sundays・Holidays: Only March and April: 9:00 - 17:00

*Customer Center is closed on the year-end and New Year holidays (December 31 through January 3).
*All phone conversations with customers are recorded to keep track of the details.
*In the event that we have received a notification for starting or suspending water service that involves installation or removal of a water meter, etc., the work will be handled on a weekday between 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
*If you find a water leak on a road or if you need repairs for a water leak or other water-related issue that has occurred in your home at night or on a holiday, you will be provided with automated guidance about emergency contact information.
(Please contact with the owner or manager of the building if you experience trouble with the water supply in your building.(In some cases, a separate contract with a repair shop may be concluded.))

Water and Sewage Usage Notice (Example)

  1. Settlement number: an identification number determined by Waterworks Bureau.
  2. Current meter-reading value/meter-reading date: indicates the latest meter reading value and date.
  3. Water and sewage usage: indicates the consumption of water and sewage during the current period.
  4. Scheduled billing amount: indicates the amount you will be charged during the current usage period.
  5. Due date for payment (by notification bill) or date of bank transfer (by account transfer)
    *In case of credit card payment (continuous payment), the due date is displayed as “**/**/**”. Please contact the credit card company for the date of deduction.
  6. Notice of the amount that has been paid by bank transfer
    *To protect customers’ personal information, names of financial institutions and account numbers are not displayed.

4 Pipeline Management Center

Inquiries on clogged sewerage pipes and maintenance for public sewerage

<Open Hours>9:00 - 17:30
Closed on Saturday, Sunday and National and Year-end/New Year holidays.

Pipeline Management Center
Name Tel. /Address Competent authorities
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Nakahama Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6969-5843
1-17-10 Nakahama, Joto-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Eastern District Management Office)
Miyakojima-ku, Asahi-ku, Joto-ku, Tsurumi-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Tajima Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6751-5048
1-17-13 Tajima, Ikuno-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Tajima Construction and Management Office)
Tennoji-ku, Higashinari-ku, Ikuno-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Tsumori Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6567-6516
2-7-13 Tsumori, Nishinari-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Western District Management Office)
Taisho-ku, Naniwa-ku, Nishinari-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Ichioka Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6576-0700
2-15-74 Ichioka, Minato-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Ichioka Construction and Management Office)
Chuo-ku, Nishi-ku, Minato-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Suminoe Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6686-1909
1-1-189 Izumi, Suminoe-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Southern District Management Office)
Suminoe-ku, Sumiyoshi-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Hirano Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6705-0342
1-4-29 Hiranonishi, Hirano-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Hirano Construction and Management Office)
Abeno-ku, Higashisumiyoshi-ku, Hirano-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Ebie Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6462-3919
1-2-47 Takami, Konohana-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Northern District Management Office)
Kita-ku, Fukushima-ku, Konohana-ku, Nishiyodogawa-ku
Clearwater OSAKA Corporation
Juso Pipeline Management Center
TEL 06-6306-1734
2-8-41 Nonaka-minami, Yodogawa-ku
(In the Public Works Bureau Juso Construction and Management Office)
Yodogawa-ku, Higashiyodogawa-ku
24-hour Center In the event that the sewerage system requires emergency repair on holidays or at night.
TEL 06-6947-7981
All areas

2 Electricity

Essentials for living in Osaka (Electricity). (Osaka Information Service for Foreign Residents)

Website: Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc.

Contact your local

3 Gas

Essentials for living in Osaka (Gas).

(Osaka Information Service for Foreign Residents)

Osaka Gas Customer Service Center
<Business Hours>
Monday - Saturday: 9:00 - 19:00
Sunday/National Holidays: 9:00 - 17:00
Website: Osaka Gas Customer Service Center

page top

Waste and Recycling Collection

1 Separation & Collection of Waste

Items to be collected Collection Schedule & Notes for Collection
  • (Cans)
    Empty metal cans for drinking water, food items, or daily necessities, etc. that are less than 18-liters
  • (Bottles)
    Empty glass bottles used for beverages, foodstuffs, daily necessities, cosmetics, etc. with a volume smaller than 1.8 liters
  • (Metal house wares)
    Household goods made of metal, such as pots and pans, ashtrays, and tinfoil, with a diameter or longest side less than 30 cm, or a length within 1 m for sticks or pole-shaped items. Does not include enameled items.
  • (PET bottles)
    Plastic bottles for soy sauce, drinks, or alcohol, etc. of which the label has a mark indicating that it can be recycled as a PET bottle
    ※In-store collection is also available at supermarkets.
  • (Spray cans, cassette cylinders)
    Except for spray paint products (lacquer, etc.)
(Collected Once a Week)
  • Remove all bottle caps and dispose of plastic items as Plastic Containers and Packaging, metal items should be disposed of as Recyclable Waste.
  • Empty all cans and bottles and rinse them with water.
  • When putting out recyclables, put the same type of recyclables (cans, bottles, PET bottles) together in a see-through plastic bag, and put out by 9:00 on collection day.
  • The contents of spray cans and cassette cylinders must be used up without drilling a hole, and put them into a bag separately from empty cans, empty bottles, pet bottles etc.
  • Sake bottles, beer bottles, and other returnable bottles should be returned to the store where they were purchased.
(Items that cannot be collected as Recyclable Waste)
  • Glass products such as cups, sheet glass and light bulbs, and sharp-edged products, such as knives, scissors and awls
  • Crockery and enameled products
  • Wire-shaped metal such as iron wire and copper wire.Heavy goods made of metals, such as iron dumbbells
    Please dispose the above items as Household Waste.
  • Fluorescent lighting tubes are collected at your residence. Please contact the Environmental Affairs Center in your ward.
  • Bottles containing harmful chemicals or paint. (Please consult with the retailer or manufacturer.)
  • Metal housewares over 30 cm in side or diameter and a stick over 1m (Please dispose them as bulky waste.)
  • Please consult with stores or manufacturers regarding disposal of cans and bottles that contain toxic chemicals, paints, etc.
Plastic Containers and Packaging
Plastic containers or packaging that were used to contain or wrap products, and have a mark indicating that they are plastic
  • Plastic bottles (except for PET bottles for soy sauce and beverages that are collected as recyclable waste)
  • Plastic trays(plate-type containers)
  • Plastic tubes
  • Plastic cups and packages
  • Plastic bags and wrappers
(Collected Once a Week)
  • Empty the contents and rinse before putting them out for collection.
  • Do not put other garbage together with plastic containers and packaging.
  • Put the plastic containers and packaging in a see-through garbage bag, and put out by 9am on the collection day.
  • Dispose of items that cannot be cleaned or that have not been emptied of their contents as regular garbage.
  • Foam trays should be put out for collection at supermarkets.
  • Please put out plastic merchandise along with household waste.
Used Paper / Used Cloth
  • Newspaper / leaflet inserts
  • Cardboard
  • Paper cartons
    Things that have a mark indicating that they are a paper carton
  • Books/Magazines
    Weekly magazines, specialized magazines, manga, books, catalogs, textbooks, pamphlets, dictionaries, etc.
  • Other Paper
    Paper boxes for confectionery, paper bags, direct mail, wrapping paper, memo paper, postcards, envelopes, shredded paper, copy paper,etc.
  • Used Clothes
    Jackets, shirts, trousers, sweaters, skirts, jeans, coats, etc.
(Collected Once a Week)
Please separate into the 6 subject items and place them at the collection point by 9 a.m. on the collection date. Collection will be made even on rainy days.
  • Newspapers and related trash should be bundled and tied with string and placed in transparent or semi-transparent bags distributed at newspaper stands and kiosks.
  • For cardboard, please remove all forms of tape and paper, flatten it, pack it in bundles of up to 10 pieces of cardboard, and tie it with string.
  • Paper boxes and packs should be rinsed with water, cut open, dried, and then bundled and tied with string or placed in transparent plastic bags.
  • Magazines should be bundled and tied with string in bundles small enough to be carried by hand.
  • Other paper articles should be bundled and tied with string and placed in transparent plastic bags.
  • Clothes should be washed, dried and placed in transparent plastic bags.
(Waste uncollectible as old paper or clothes)
  • Dirty items
  • Cardboard
    containing aluminum or wax components.
  • Paper cartons
    with aluminum inner wrapping. Other items that do not have a mark indicating that they are a paper carton
  • Magazines
    non-paper components
  • Other Paper
    Paper that has been soiled by grease or food, disposable diapers, sanitary paper such as tissues, waterproof paper (paper cups, cup-noodle containers, containers for ice cream or yogurt, etc.), paper with an odor (paper boxes for detergent or incense, wrapping paper for soap, etc.), crimped postcards, photographs, paper for photograph prints, carbon paper, non-carbon paper (parcel service copy slips, etc.), thermal paper (FAX paper, receipts, etc.), wrapping foil, printed paper (paper for iron prints, etc.), thermal foaming coated paper (paper used for Braille, etc. that puffs up when heat is applied)
  • Clothing
    Please dispose of the following as ordinary trash: Work uniforms, leather clothing, things made of vinyl, down jackets, things filled with cotton, things that are heavily soiled or damaged, things other than clothes (towels, sheets, curtains, etc.)
  • If you will dispose of used paper or clothes in a large amount at one time due to moving to a different residence or doing major housecleaning, etc., please ask a recyclable service company for collection.
Household Waste
In addition to kitchen trash and porcelain or ceramics, etc., trash of which the largest side or diameter is 30cm or less, or stick-shapes that are 1m or less, and that are not items subject to separate collection
(Collected Twice a Week)
  • Please dispose of waste by 9 a.m. on the stipulated collection date.
  • Please use see-through trash bags.
  • Please keep trash bags at a weight that can be picked up with one hand and close the opening tightly before disposing them.
  • Please thoroughly drain excess liquid from kitchen or food waste.
  • For cooking oil, please soak it up with paper or cloth, or solidify it, and then dispose of it.
  • For skewers, pieces of glass, and scissor blades, etc., please wrap them in thick paper/cardboard, and then put them in a bag, make an indication on the bag that it is “Kiken” (dangerous), and then dispose of them.
  • Make sure that matches, fireworks and lighters are completely used up and extinguished before disposal.
  • The contents of spray cans and cassette cylinders must be used up without drilling a hole, and put them into a separate bag, then put out on the recyclable garbage collection day.
  • Please clean excrement from disposable diapers and place them in a plastic bag to prevent odors from leaking out.
  • For dry-cell batteries, fluorescent lighting tubes, mercury thermometers, ink cartridges, and used small-sized household appliances, please take them to the collecting location if possible.
  • Fluorescent lighting tubes, maternity wear, baby clothes, children’s clothes are collected at your residence. Please contact the Environmental Affairs Center in your ward.
  • For trash that will be disposed of in a large amount at one time due to moving to a different residence or doing major housecleaning, etc., please dispose of it as “Bulky Waste.”
  • In the event that trash has been mixed with recyclable trash, plastic packaging and containers, or used paper and clothes, or in the event that trash has been put out in something other than a see-through trash bag, a notification sticker will be placed on the bag and it will not be collected.
Bulky Waste (Removal fees apply)
Trash of which the largest side or diameter exceeds 30 cm, or stick-shapes that exceed 1 m, or trash that will be disposed of in a large amount at one time due to moving to a different residence or doing major housecleaning, etc.
Please call the “Bulky Waste Collection Center” in advance to request collection.
<Toll free> (TEL)0120-79-0053
<From Mobile phone> 0570-07−0053
<Internet> Application system for Osaka City bulky waste collection (in Japanese)
Mon-Sat (including National Holiday, Closed from December 29th to January 3rd.) 9:00-17:00
※If you have difficulty in hearing or speaking, please apply by sending a 0120-53-4153 or postcard to the Environment Management Center.
  • After confirming service charges with the Bulky Waste Collection Center, please purchase a Bulky Waste Collection Fee Ticket for each item. Tickets can be purchased at convenience stores, supermarkets, or post offices that have signs indicating that this service is available.
  • Please stick the “Bulky Waste Collection Fee Ticket” on each bulky waste item and make sure to put out these items by 9 AM on the collection day as requested by the “Bulky Waste Collection Center.”
  • Flammable or explosive waste such as fire extinguishers, gas cylinders, waste kerosene oil, minibikes, motorcycles, harmful chemicals, paint, batteries are not collectable. With regards to the disposal of the above, please consult the retailer or companies concerned for collection.
  • Air conditioners, TVs, refrigerators/freezers, and washing machines/clothes dryers cannot be collected as bulky waste. Please ask retailers about the collection of these items. If you are not sure who the retailer is, these items can be collected by either of the following two methods: “Osaka Method for Recycling of Home Appliances” (Osaka Recycling Business Cooperative TEL:0120-44-8780) or the “Manufacturer’s Method” (RKC, TEL:0120-31-9640). Please direct your inquiries to these centers.
  • Collection and recycling of computers are handled by manufacturing companies. For more details, please contact your manufacturing company, or the PC3R Promotion Association (TEL: 03-5282-7685).

※Using transparent or semi-transparent garbage bags is requested in Osaka City to enforce sorted garbage collection and to ensure the safety of operation.(Except for certain cases of old paper)

2 Inquiries regarding Waste

Environment Management Center (Monday – Saturday, 8:30 – 17:00)
Name Tel. / Address (nearest station) Government Authorities
Hokubu (TEL)06-6351-4000
2-8-14 Doshin, Kita-ku
(Subway: Ogimachi sta./ JR: Temma sta.)
Kita-ku, Miyakojima-ku
Tohoku 1-2-20 Kamishinjo, Higashiyodogawa-ku
(City bus: Higashiyodogawa Yubinkyoku-mae)
Yodogawa-ku, Higashiyodogawa-ku
Shirokita 2-11-1 Yakeno, Tsurumi-ku
(Subway: Tsurumiryokuchi)
Asahi-ku, Joto-ku, Tsurumi-ku
Seihoku 2-5-66 Owada, Nishiyodogawa-ku
(Hanshin: Fuku sta.)
Fukushima-ku, Konohana-ku, Nishiyodogawa-ku
Chubu 1-6-28 Kumata, Higashisumiyoshi-ku
(JR: TobuShijomae sta.)
Tennoji-ku, Higashisumiyoshi-ku
Chubu Branch Office 2-1-1 Shiokusa, Naniwa-ku
(Subway: Daikokucho sta. / JR: Ashiharabashi sta.)
Chuo-ku, Naniwa-ku
Seibu 1-20-29 Kobayashi-nishi, Taisho-ku
(City bus: Kobayashi)
Nishi-ku, Minato-ku, Taisho-ku
Tobu 1-1-4 Tatsuminaka, Ikuno-ku
(Subway: Kitatatsumi sta.)
Higashinari-ku, Ikuno-ku
Seinan 1-1-111 Izumi, Suminoe-ku
(Subway: Suminoekoen sta.)
Sumiyoshi-ku, Suminoe-ku
Nambu 5-5-26 Minamitsumori, Nishinari-ku
(Subway: Kitakagaya sta.)
Abeno-ku, Nishinari-ku
Tonan (TEL)06-6700-1750
1-3-40 Uriwariminami, Hirano-ku
(City bus: Uriwari-minami)

page top